Spray Tan Prep & Post Care
From now until 48-24 hours before your spray tan appointment, keep skin moisturized.
24 hours before your appointment:
- This is one of the most important first steps when it comes to preparing your skin for a spray tan. Dry patches of skin tend to hold more color than skin which is smooth and soft. Failing to exfoliate before spray tanning can result in blotchy patches of dye on your elbows, knees, and other rough areas.
- Use a loofah or other type of exfoliating tool to scrub your entire body. A body scrub with sea salt or other exfoliating products also provides the optimum results.
- During exfoliation, pay extra attention to the skin of your palms and feet. These areas are often especially dry, and can attract excessive color.
2. Shave unwanted hair.
- Shave - using ONLY Soap and Water - NO Shaving Cream as the oils can effect the penetration of the solution through skin.
- While excessive body hair will not impair the ability of the spray tan to stick to your skin, shaving soon after receiving a spray tan can be detrimental. In fact, shaving soon after this procedure often results in the color flaking off from your skin.
- If you wax, please be sure to wax any hair at least 4 days prior to your spray tan session.
3. Things to avoid:
- Avoid lotions, creams, deodorant, or other personal hygiene items that could interfere with the spray tan adhering to the skin. To ensure the best results during a spray tan, refrain from using skin lotions and moisturizers until after having the spray tan done as these lotions often block the spray tan from sticking to your skin.
- The same applies to products like antiperspirant, deodorant, make-up, perfume, or powder as they too can block the adherence of the spray tan to your skin, resulting in blotchy coloration.
- Do NOT Apply Makeup if you wish to have color on your face
4. Bring the proper clothes.
- The spray tanning solution is likely to remain damp for awhile after you exit the tanning booth. While some individuals would prefer to remain in the nude until the solution dries completely, this is not an option for all. To prevent the solution from rubbing off onto your clothing, bring a selection of T-shirts and pants which are as loose as possible. In addition, as some brands of spray tan can stain clothing, consider bringing clothing which is black or another dark color.
5. Additional Tips
- Make sure you spread your toes and fingers , while getting a spray tan.
- Women with long hair who are receiving a spray tan should consider placing it in a bun or ponytail before the start of the tan. Leaving your hair down during the tan application process can inhibit the color from reaching the back of your neck and upper shoulders.
- Manicures/Pedicures - needs to be done 24 hours BEFORE or wait at least 24 hours AFTER your session before getting one
- During the spray tan you can wear a bikini, one piece bathing suit or your birthday suit depending on your comfort level or preference. If wearing a bathing suit, we recommend a dark swim suit. We recommend wearing a suit you are comfortable getting a tad dirty. We have seen it all and still remain professional, so if you prefer no tan lines, you do not need to wear any clothing. Men, sorry but you must keep your swim trunks or underwear on.
1. Avoid Sweating!
- Immediately after your spray tanning session. Avoid activities that may cause you to sweat excessively to avoid streaking the tan solution. Use the air conditioning in your car on a hot day. Remember, you have just been tinted with a water-soluble solution.
2. Avoid Water
- You must avoid water entirely for at least 4 hours(depending on the solution you choose, 4 or 8 hours) or you will stop the tanning action of the DHA and/or cause streaking. Proper cleansing will help ensure even fading for longer lasting, natural looking results. After bathing, gently pat dry skin. If you must bathe prior to the 4 or 8 hour process period use plain water only.
- Avoid Swimming & Spas. Avoid chemically treated swimming pools and spas for at least 24 hours after your spray session to prevent color from fading.
3. Extending moisturizer
- The day after your spray tan session and after your first shower, you can use a tan extending moisturizing lotion of your choice. While not necessary, this lotion helps keep your tan healthy and skin moisturized while adding refreshing glow each day to your color. It also helps your color fade gradually and evenly.
- You will see a little bit of color wash off in your first shower, this is normal. It is only the excess solution coming off, not your tan. You may return to your normal routine of shaving, washing, etc. Absolutely no exfoliating procedures should be done during the time in which you wish to keep your tan.
- When drying off from your shower or bath, please remember to "blot" yourself dry, without rubbing your skin and inadvertently rubbing your tan away.
- Days after your tan or when your tan starts to fade, keeping in mind that some areas rub more or are dryer then others, you may experience light blotchyness. Lightly exfoliate those areas to keep your tan looking fresh.
- With proper care your tan will last you up to 2 weeks. You may spray again when ever you are ready. Just follow the same procedure above. If you still have spray tan on, you may exfoliate it all off to start fresh (this can be hard if the skin is not ready for exfoliation) or you may also, tan over your tan to keep that tanned looked year round. The previous spray tan will just blend in with the new solution after your 4 or 8 hour develop time.
Make sure to stay hydrated and continue to moisturize after your first rinse. Dry and dehydrated skin will shorten the life of your spray tan.